There can’t be many Arsenal supporters that predicted the 2-0 victory against AC Milan at the San Siro.
In fact , many were worried, if not petrified about facing a team who had been on a run of fine form and had only lost 1 of their last 20 European matches.
As it turned out , Milan assumed the Arsenal role of being disorganised and pitiful , whilst the gunners remembered how to attack the oppositions goal with a degree of inventiveness and ingenuity.
They meet again next Thursday at the Emirates for the second leg , which will be a much more competitive game but what did yesterday’s game tell us about Arsenal.
1. The defence , although better, still watches the ball and allows too much space just outside the box. Perhaps too much emphasis was based on the danger from the flanks but they will be in trouble if they give Milan that space in the return fixture.
2. Shkodran Mustafi and Laurent Koscielny still aren’t on the same wavelength and operate as individual centre backs which probably explains why Arsenal have shipped 41 goals in the premiership so far.
3. Danny Welbeck still needs 20 opportunities to score. The Arsenal man hasn’t scored in a European fixture for three years and it’s no surprise. He played well and pushed the team onwards and his pace on the left was a threat , but with Lacazette out , this striker needs to strike.( Mkhitaryan after scoring against AC Milan / @Arsenal official)
4. Aaron Ramsey , Mesut Ozil and Mkhitaryan had a great first half but they really need to turn the screw for 90 minutes. Against better opposition 2 goals wouldn’t have been enough.
5. David Ospina is not the answer to the goalkeeping problem. At times he looked like uncomfortable and unsure. Arsene Wenger needs to find a quality replacement for Petr Cech and send Ospina packing.
We are all set for a dramatic evening at the Emirates and it’s Arsenal’s to throw away. They need another solid performance to progress further and retain the services of the manager , who’s future is far from secure.