There can’t be many Arsenal supporters that predicted the 2-0 victory against AC Milan at the San Siro.
In fact , many were worried, if not petrified about facing a team who had been on a run of fine form and had only lost 1 of their last 20 European matches.
As it turned out , Milan assumed the Arsenal role of being disorganised and pitiful , whilst the gunners remembered how to attack the oppositions goal with a degree of inventiveness and ingenuity.
They meet again next Thursday at the Emirates for the second leg , which will be a much more competitive game but what did yesterday’s game tell us about Arsenal.
1. The defence , although better, still watches the ball and allows too much space just outside the box. Perhaps too much emphasis was based on the danger from the flanks but they will be in trouble if they give Milan that space in the return fixture.
2. Shkodran Mustafi and Laurent Koscielny still aren’t on the same wavelength and operate as individual centre backs which probably explains why Arsenal have shipped 41 goals in the premiership so far.
3. Danny Welbeck still needs 20 opportunities to score. The Arsenal man hasn’t scored in a European fixture for three years and it’s no surprise. He played well and pushed the team onwards and his pace on the left was a threat , but with Lacazette out , this striker needs to strike.( Mkhitaryan after scoring against AC Milan / @Arsenal official)
4. Aaron Ramsey , Mesut Ozil and Mkhitaryan had a great first half but they really need to turn the screw for 90 minutes. Against better opposition 2 goals wouldn’t have been enough.
5. David Ospina is not the answer to the goalkeeping problem. At times he looked like uncomfortable and unsure. Arsene Wenger needs to find a quality replacement for Petr Cech and send Ospina packing.
We are all set for a dramatic evening at the Emirates and it’s Arsenal’s to throw away. They need another solid performance to progress further and retain the services of the manager , who’s future is far from secure.
Transfer News6 hours ago
Arsenal fans receive good news on the club’s pursuit of Houssem Aouar
News3 days ago
Full list: Arsenal’s fixtures for the 2021/2022 Premier League season released
Transfer News9 hours ago
Two Arsenal stars reportedly on verge of departure as Arteta continues clear out
Transfer News1 day ago
Arsenal make progress in their pursuit of Ben White after first bid’s rejection
News10 hours ago
Arsenal’s reported transfer budget gets revealed for summer overhaul
News2 days ago
Real Madrid send Odegaard transfer message as Arsenal identify Leicester star as ideal alternative
Transfer News2 days ago
Report: Arsenal’s £40m bid for defender Ben White rejected
Transfer News3 hours ago
Arsenal make a decision on Kieran Tierney’s future after his last season’s performances